Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Preparedness Project - Paint Can Heaters

Emergency Cook Stoves or Paint Can Heaters!



To make this project you will need:
1 New Gallon-Sized Paint Can with Lid
1 New Quart-Sized Paint Can with Lid
1 Roll of Toilet Paper (cheap toilet paper works best)
1 Small Box of Matches
1 Paint Can Opener
1 Bottle of Alcohol
1 4x4 Tile
1 Bottle Opener
Label and Instructions (PDF included below)
Squish the toilet paper roll so that it will fit inside of the quart-sized paint can.
(It's a little tight, but I promise it fits!)
Push it all the way down into the can.
Pour alcohol over the top of the toilet paper to saturate it.
I used 16 ounces.
Remove the center of the toilet paper roll.
It should come out very easily once the toilet paper has been saturated.
Place the lid on the quart can.
Make sure it is tightly closed!
Use the can opener to make vents in the bottom of the gallon-sized paint can.
Use a sharp bottle opener to keep from denting the can.
Mine was a little dull!
Punch vents in the top as well.
If you do dent the can, just push it back out with your fingers.
Make sure you watch the sharp edges.
Add the paint can opener to the handle.
Attach the handle to the can.

Place the above items into the gallon-sized paint can and seal the lid.
To use the heater or camp stove:
Remove the small can, the tile, and matches.
Open the lid of the quart can and light the toilet paper with a match.
Place the gallon-sized can upside down over the top.
This creates a cooking surface.
You can also cook without the gallon-sized can
if you want to roast marshmallows or hot dogs.
Note:
The toilet paper won't burn, and so when your alcohol burns out - just refill it!
Now you're ready for SMORE'S!

19 comments:

Julie said...

HI Tricia,
It's me again. Where did you find the new paint cans?
Also, do you have any recipes for cheese, cottage cheese and other dairy products from powdered milk? I would love to know how to make them so that we could still have these items in our food storage.
Thanks for all you help. You are marvelous.

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

I purchased my paint cans from the Sherwin Williams paint store and they gave me the can openers for FREE! You can also purchase them at Home Depot, but they were a little more expensive.
I will be sharing recipes for cheeses, yogurts, and more canned meats in the Thursday posts. Especially since we well be using alot of them in the Bag Meals!
You're the BEST . . . Thank You for your sweet comments!
Trish

Julie said...

Super! I can't wait. Will you be posting more Bug Out Bag games also? I love the "GO Fish" and there are so many more on your list that sound like fun.
Truly, I don't know what I would do without your blog and your help.
Thanks for the big cover pages!!!

Annessa said...

You rock! A couple of us girls here in California are going to get going on some Christmas gifts for family from your ideas. Love your graphics!

Robyn said...

Are we supposed to use a normal size roll of toilet paper or will a double roll fit? Thanks for an amazing idea--we will be using this as a project for our Preparedness Fair/Super Saturday in April and I want to price it correctly. Thanks!

Debbie said...

The toilet paper doesn't burn?! That's crazy! This is such a cool idea! I am going to feature it on my website sometime for sure! (I will link it here, of course!) Thanks for sharing! Oh, and just a side note: I was a little confused about when you started punching holes in the can, it didn't specify that it's the big can and not the small can. I thought it was the small until I saw your excellent pictures, which clarified for me. But you may just want to throw that into the directions as well. :)
Thanks again!

Angie Cheney said...

PDF link doesn't work. Thanks for this.

Angie Cheney said...

PDF link doesn't work. Thanks for this.

Cami said...

Do you store the stove with the alcohol in the can or do you put it in just before you use the stove?

Prepared Not Scared said...

I would just store alcohol seperately, although you can do it either way.

Bloggers said...

What an awesome idea.

Unknown said...

The link to the PDF is not working for me? Can you help! Can't wait to make some of these!!!

Unknown said...

OMGosh I found it. Sorry! I had scrolled through all the folders and missed it and then I read your directions for searching. (duh) thanks!

Anonymous said...

I first saw an article about this back in the early 80s in a Field & Stream magazine. The used a coffee can but I guess coffee cans are disappearing.

gabby said...

thank you i was looking for something like these!!! i will teach it on thursday here in Monterrey Mexico you are famous now LOL. thanks!!!

Unknown said...

Since I wouldn't be pouring the alcohol on the toilet paper before storage and would just be storing the alcohol alongside it, I'm assuming this would therefore have an infinite shelf life. Is this correct?

Prepared Not Scared said...

Katherine,
Just watch the date on your alcohol. I know that the alcohol from the Dollar stores does not store as well or light as well. I don't know if it's not as concentrated or just really old. The stove itself has an indefinite shelf life and the will last a very long time!
Hope that helps!
Trish

Anonymous said...

alcohol comes in different pecentages of alchol i believe it start at 50% and goes to 90%, thats probably why it doesnt burn as well.

Mikie2501 said...

I was wondering if you or anyone had done a time test on how the alcohol holds up just being sealed in the can over time, or if it seeps out from the lid eventually. I was thinking that maybe a bead of vaseline or silacone (not the stuff that hardens) would be a good idea to stop possible leakage :)