Monday, May 24, 2010

Family Home Evening - Family History . . . It's All About Mother's!

The Family History Focus for This Month Is
All About Mother's!
Opening Prayer:
Scripture:
Alma 57:21
"Yea, and they did obey and observe to perform every word
of command with exactness; yea, and even according to their
faith it was done unto them; and I did remember the
words which they said unto me
that their mother's had taught them."
Song:
"Mother Dear" Children's Songbook Page 206
Lesson:
In the April 2010 Conference, Elder Bradley D. Foster
of the Seventy encouraged us to:
"Follow Your Mother!"
Quote:
"In my profession as a farmer and a rancher, I've had a frontrow
seat to observe how a mother's natural affection manifests
itself even in nature.  Each spring we take a herd of cows and their
new calves up along Idaho's Snake River . . .
 . . . On one particularly hot spring day, I was helping with the
roundup by riding at the back of the herd as it moved down the
dusty road toward the corral. 
My job was to gather any calves that had
wandered from the road . . .
. . . After several hours of gathering up stray calves . . . , I yelled
to the calves in frustration, "Just follow your mothers! They know
where they're going!  They've been down this road before!" . . .
As soon as we got the herd into the corral,
we noticed that three of the cows were pacing nervously at
the gate.  They could not find their calves and seemed to sense
they were back on the road somewhere . . .
   . . . We found our lost calves taking a nap in the shade. 
Our approach startled them, and they resisted our efforts
to round them up.  They were frightened because we
were not their mothers! 
The more we tried to push them toward the corral,
 the more stubborn they became. 
Finally I said to the cowboys, "I'm sorry. I know better
than this.  Let's ride back and get their mothers."  I was right.
The mother cows knew exactly where to go to find their calves,
and they led them back to the corral, as I had expected." . . .
 
"Mother's are AMAZING" . . . if I do say so myself!
My mom's greatest legacy
can be seen in the homes of her children.
She taught us the power of prayer, how to find answers
in the scriptures, how to work hard, to cook, to sew, and
most importantly, she showed and continues to show us
unconditional love.
I have been blessed with an equally amazing mother-in-law,
and I am truly grateful every day for such a blessing.
Family Home Evening Activity:
Celebrate Mother's Past, Present, and Future.
To celebrate Mother's Past:
List some of the things you learned from your
Grandma's.
(Add pictures of Grandma's.)
To celebrate Mother's Present:
Have your children list some of the things you have
taught them, as well as some of the things they would
like for you to teach them.
(Add pictures of YOU and YOUR Children.)
To celebrate Mother's Future:
List the qualities found in
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
(Add pictures of the daughter's in your family.)
There are two scrapbook pages for each section:
1 Page for Writting
and
1 Page for Photos!
Here's the Family Home Evening Lesson PDF:
Now for the Family Home Evening Treat:
Strawberry
Cheesecake Trifle!
Ingredients:
2 (8 ounce) Packages Cream Cheese, Softened
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 (8 ounce) Container Sour Cream
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
1 cup Cool Whip, Thawed
4 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Angel Food Cake, Cubed
2 quarts Fresh Strawberries, Sliced
Instructions:
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar
until fluffy; add sour cream, 1/2 tsp. vanilla and the almond
extract and set aside.
Fold the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture.
Combine strawberries and sugar, stirring until sugar
is dissolved.
Layer in a large glass bowl:
Cake
Strawberries
Whip Cream Mixture
Repeat until bowl is FULL!
Cover and chill before serving.
WAH . . .LAH!
Here's the Recipe PDF:
Closing Prayer!
Remember to add the completed pages to your
Family History Scrapbook!
Have a GREAT Night!

1 comment:

irbuanosraL said...

I think I posted my comment on the wrong post, lol! Anyway just wanted to say this is a great idea, I'm using it for my FHE. THANKS!!!